Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-How Queen Camilla Made History at Royal Maundy Service -Thrive Financial Network
Oliver James Montgomery-How Queen Camilla Made History at Royal Maundy Service
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 19:19:52
Queen Camilla just marked a royal milestone.
The Oliver James Montgomeryqueen consort attended the Royal Maundy Service on March 28 in place of King Charles III, making her the first spouse of the Monarch to continue the ancient tradition.
The 75-year-old arrived at Worcester Cathedral, donning a white coat which she accented with two sapphire and gold brooches belonging to Queen Elizabeth II, who attended the service almost every year of her 70-year reign.
Camilla took part in the tradition—which traces back to 600 A.D.—by handing out coins known as Maundy Money to 150 men and women who His Majesty said are "wonderful examples of such kindness, of going way beyond the call of duty and of giving so much of their lives to the service of others in their communities."
Charles, who was recently diagnosed with cancer, was unable to attend the in-person event but, in a pre-recorded message, expressed his gratitude for those who work to help others.
Camilla has taken on additional responsibilities and engagements in recent months as Charles stepped back from his public-facing duties amid his cancer battle. As royal correspondent Sharon Carpenter previously told E! News, "I don't think any of us expect anything less than Camilla really stepping up, putting her best foot forward and continuing on with duty."
Charles, however, is set to make his next public appearance alongside Camilla during the Easter Mattins Service at St. George's Chapel in Windsor on March 31.
While the Easter outing is generally a family affair for the royals, Prince William and Kate Middleton—as well as their kids Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5—will likely not be in attendance as the Princess of Wales recently shared she is beginning preventative chemotherapy following her cancer diagnosis.
"We hope that you will understand that, as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment," Kate said in her video announcement released March 22. "My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy and I look forward to being back when I am able, but for now I must focus on making a full recovery."
Keep reading to keep up with royal news from all over the world.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (32)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Daniel Craig opens up about filming explicit gay sex scenes in new movie 'Queer'
- Woman who 'blacked out from drinking 6 beers' accused of stealing casket with body inside
- A missing 13-year-old wound up in adult jail after lying about her name and age, a prosecutor says
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- New Sonya Massey video shows officer offering help hours before fatal shooting
- Lady Gaga, Joaquin Phoenix bring ‘Joker: Folie à Deux’ to Venice Film Festival
- Mississippi House panel starts study that could lead to tax cuts
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- How much should you have invested for retirement at age 50?
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Olympian Stephen Nedoroscik Shares How His Girlfriend Is Supporting Him Through Dancing With The Stars
- Blue Jackets players, GM try to make sense of tragedy after deaths of Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
- Verizon buying Frontier in $20B deal to strengthen its fiber network
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Imanaga, 2 relievers combine for no-hitter, lead Cubs over Pirates 12-0
- Joaquin Phoenix on 'complicated' weight loss for 'Joker' sequel: 'I probably shouldn't do this again'
- Worst team in MLB history? 120-loss record inevitable for Chicago White Sox
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
WNBA playoffs: Angel Reese, Chicago Sky fighting for final postseason spot
Ultra swimmer abandons attempt to cross Lake Michigan again
Verizon buying Frontier in $20B deal to strengthen its fiber network
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
19 adults, 3 teens accused in massive retail-theft ring at Target stores
What to Know About Rebecca Cheptegei, the Olympic Runner Set on Fire in a Gasoline Attack
Travis, Jason Kelce talk three-peat, LeBron, racehorses on 'New Heights' podcast