Current:Home > ContactEmbattled UK journalist will not join Washington Post as editor, staff memo says -Thrive Financial Network
Embattled UK journalist will not join Washington Post as editor, staff memo says
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:00:24
British journalist Robert Winnett will not be joining the Washington Post as its editor, an internal memo seen by Reuters showed, following media reports that he used unethical methods to obtain information while working with the Sunday Times.
Post publisher Will Lewis had named Winnett, a former colleague who serves as deputy editor of the Daily Telegraph, to the role earlier this month after the exit of Sally Buzbee, the first woman to lead the storied newsroom. The reversal means Winnett will remain at the Daily Telegraph, which he joined in 2007.
"It is with regret that I share with you that Robert Winnett has withdrawn from the position of Editor at The Washington Post," Lewis said in the memo on Friday.
The New York Times reported last Saturday that Lewis and Winnett used fraudulently obtained records in articles at London's Sunday Times newspaper. On Sunday, the Post published a report detailing Winnett's ties to John Ford, who has admitted to using illegal methods to gain information for stories.
Lewis did not immediately respond to Reuters requests for comment, while Winnett declined to comment.
'Their loss is our gain'
Daily Telegraph editor Chris Evans said in an internal memo, "I'm pleased to report that Rob Winnett has decided to stay with us. As you all know, he's a talented chap and their loss is our gain."
The Post's memo showed that it has started a search for a new editor and that Matt Murray, former editor-in-chief of the Wall Street Journal, will lead the newsroom and continue in his role as executive editor until after the U.S. elections.
The newspaper, owned by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, is one of many news outlets struggling to maintain a sustainable business model in the decades since the internet upended the economics of journalism and digital advertising rates plummeted.
Executives at the Post last year offered voluntary buyouts across the company to reduce employee headcount by about 10% and shrink the size of the newsroom to about 940 journalists.
A report in the Post last month said the newspaper was planning to create new subscription tiers called Post Pro and Post Plus to draw more money from its readers after losing $77 million over the past year.
(Reporting by Akash Sriram and Aditya Soni in Bengaluru and Susan Heavey; Editing by David Ljunggren and Anil D'Silva)
veryGood! (3)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Democratic senators push bill focusing on local detainment of immigrants linked to violent crime
- What is Holi, the Hindu festival of colors and how is it celebrated?
- Justice Department sues Apple for allegedly monopolizing the smartphone market
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- How much money did Shohei Ohtani's interpreter earn before being fired?
- Garland dismisses criticism that he should have altered Hur report as absurd
- Trump's campaign, fundraising arms spent over $10 million on legal fees in 2024, as Biden spends on ads, new staff
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Antitrust lawsuits accuse major US sugar companies of conspiring to fix prices
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- The Best Maternity Swimsuits That Are Comfy, Cute, and Perfect for Postpartum Life
- Law enforcement officials in Texas wonder how they will enforce migrant arrest law
- I Shop Fashion for a Living, and These Are My Top Picks From Saks Fifth Avenue's Friends & Family Sale
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Duke's Caleb Foster shuts it down ahead of NCAA Tournament
- Shania Twain Responds to Lukas Gage Apologizing for Wasting Her Time With Chris Appleton Wedding
- Texas Lawmaker Seeks to Improve Texas’ Power Capacity by Joining Regional Grid and Agreeing to Federal Oversight
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Texas Lawmaker Seeks to Improve Texas’ Power Capacity by Joining Regional Grid and Agreeing to Federal Oversight
There's so much electronic waste in the world it could span the equator – and it's still growing
Save 44% on the TikTok-Loved Solawave Skincare Wand That Works in 5 Minutes During Amazon's Big Sale
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
What the DOJ lawsuit against Apple could mean for consumers
With police departments facing a hiring crisis, some policies are being loosened to find more cadets
Get a Bag From Shay Mitchell’s BÉIS for Just $70, 50% Off Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara & More Deals