Current:Home > StocksBlue's Clues Host Steve Burns Addresses Death Hoax -Thrive Financial Network
Blue's Clues Host Steve Burns Addresses Death Hoax
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 23:04:22
The rumors of Steve Burns’ death have been greatly exaggerated.
While rumblings of the original Blue’s Clues host’s sudden demise after his 2002 departure from the kids’ series lingered on the internet for years, Steve is very much still alive and well.
The rumors—which detailed several apparent tragedies Steve supposedly faced—did, however, take their toll.
“Everyone though I was dead for a while,” he told the New York Times in an interview published Sept. 18, noting it made him a kind of urban legend. “That hurt, to be honest. And it kind of messed me up because that was happening while the internet was just sort of beginning to internet. No one, including myself, was kind of prepared for the degree of consensus that it represented.”
It was so general a consensus, that even the occasional public appearances didn’t seem to mitigate the rumor.
As Steve explained, “When a zillion, trillion people all think you’re dead for 15 years, it freaks you out.”
It’s part of the reason the now-50-year-old—who spends most of his time living largely off the grid in upstate New York—chose to make his return to the public eye in the form of social media.
It was a video shared by Nick Jr. on X, then-Twitter, in 2021 that saw Steve back in his signature, green-striped rugby shirt addressing his now-adult viewers that first tugged at the heart strings of former Blue’s Clues fans.
“I didn’t write it,” Steve said of the video that saw the alum explain his departure from the series, as well as express his pride over everything his former kid viewers have accomplished in adulthood. “I just kind of stood in front of the camera and said what was on my mind. I wanted to continue the conversation that I started a zillion years ago with everyone.”
And since then, Steve—who alongside his Blue’s Clues replacement Donovan Patton, has made appearances on the currently-running sequel series hosted by Josh Dela Cruz—has kept up a similar format, using platforms such as TikTok to check in with his followers, often letting them have the floor as he sits and “listens” in front of the camera.
“I just kind of wondered, ‘Is it possible to use the internet backward?’” Steve explained to the NYT. “‘Instead of creating micro-harm in aggregate, that is actually corrosive, can we just use it in positive ways?’”
In fact, the impact his videos have made has indeed been positive, allowing users to share their triumphs and struggles and be met with support and community.
“What really gets me is when someone posts something dark, simple, something grim, and everyone else comments to support them,” he shared. “I think that’s really beautiful. And it’s happening just because some middle-aged bald dude in glasses is paying attention. I’m not doing anything that everyone else can’t do.”
It’s a simple convention that he says was first developed on Blue’s Clues.
“My real job was listening,” he explained of his time as host. “Most children’s television talks to the camera, right? That’s kind of an established convention. But what Blue’s Clues did that I think was really a breakthrough is we listened. I worked really hard on making that as believable as possible.”
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (7998)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Powerball winning numbers for August 5 drawing: jackpot rises to $185 million
- Can chief heat officers protect the US from extreme heat?
- GOP Rep. Andy Ogles of Tennessee says FBI took his cellphone in campaign finance probe
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Armand “Mondo” Duplantis breaks pole vault world record in gold-medal performance at Olympics
- The stock market plunged amid recession fears: Here's what it means for your 401(k)
- USWNT coach Emma Hayes calls Naomi Girma the 'best defender I've ever seen — ever'
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Rachel Lindsay Details Being Scared and Weirded Out by Bryan Abasolo's Proposal on The Bachelorette
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Climate Advocates Rally Behind Walz as Harris’ VP Pick
- A soda sip-off or an election? Tim Walz, JD Vance fight over the 'Mountain Dew Belt'
- USA basketball players juggle motherhood and chasing 8th gold medal at Paris Olympics
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Why is 'Brightwood' going viral now? Here's what's behind the horror sensation
- Finally, US figure skaters will get Beijing Olympic gold medals — under Eiffel Tower
- NYC journalist who documented pro-Palestinian vandalism arrested on felony hate crime charges
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
4 hotel employees charged with being party to felony murder in connection with Black man’s death
WK Kellogg to close Omaha plant, downsize in Memphis as it shifts production to newer facilities
NCAA Division I board proposes revenue distribution units for women's basketball tournament
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Carly Pearce berates concertgoer after alleged confrontation: 'Get out of my show'
Ryan Reynolds Hilariously Confronts Blake Lively's Costar Brandon Sklenar Over Suggestive Photo
The Imane Khelif controversy lays bare an outrage machine fueled by lies