Current:Home > FinanceRemains of at least 189 people removed from funeral home that offered "green burials" without embalming fluid -Thrive Financial Network
Remains of at least 189 people removed from funeral home that offered "green burials" without embalming fluid
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:12:46
The remains of at least 189 people have been removed from a Colorado funeral home, up from an initial estimate of about 115 when the decaying and improperly stored bodies were discovered two weeks ago, officials said Tuesday.
The remains were found by authorities responding to a report of an "abhorrent smell" inside a decrepit building at the Return to Nature Funeral Home in the small town of Penrose, about 100 miles south of Denver. All the remains were removed from the site as of Oct. 13, but officials said the numbers could change again as the identification process continues.
The updated count comes as families who did business with the funeral home grow increasingly concerned about what happened to their deceased loved ones. Local officials said they will begin notifying family members in the coming days as the remains are identified.
There is no timeline to complete the work, which began last week with help from an FBI team that gets deployed to mass casualty events like airline crashes. Fremont County Coroner Randy Keller said he wanted to provide accurate information to families "to prevent further victimization as they continue to grieve."
Keller had previously said the identification process could take several months, with the focus on showing respect for the decedents and their families, CBS News Colorado reports.
Officials have not disclosed further details of what was found inside the funeral home, but Fremont Sheriff Allen Cooper described the scene as horrific.
Authorities entered the funeral home's neglected building with a search warrant Oct. 4 and found the decomposing bodies. Neighbors said they had been noticing the smell for days.
The owners of the Return to Nature Funeral Home had missed tax payments in recent months, were evicted from one of their properties and were sued for unpaid bills by a crematory that quit doing business with them almost a year ago, according to public records and interviews with people who worked with them.
A day after the odor was reported, the director of the state office of Funeral Home and Crematory registration spoke on the phone with owner Jon Hallford. He tried to conceal the improper storage of corpses in Penrose, acknowledged having a "problem" at the site and claimed he practiced taxidermy there, according to an order from state officials dated Oct. 5.
Attempts to reach Hallford, his wife Carie and Return to Nature have been unsuccessful. Numerous text messages to the funeral home seeking comment have gone unanswered. No one answered the business phone or returned a voice message left Tuesday.
In the days after the discovery, law enforcement officials said the owners were cooperating as investigators sought to determine any criminal wrongdoing.
The company, which offered cremations and "green" burials without embalming fluids, kept doing business as its financial and legal problems mounted. Green burials are legal in Colorado, but any body not buried within 24 hours must be properly refrigerated.
As of last week, more than 120 families worried their relatives could be among the remains had contacted law enforcement about the case. It could take weeks to identify the remains found and could require taking fingerprints, finding medical or dental records, and DNA testing.
Authorities found the bodies inside a 2,500-square-foot building with the appearance and dimensions of a standard one-story home.
Colorado has some of the weakest oversight of funeral homes in the nation, with no routine inspections or qualification requirements for funeral home operators.
There's no indication state regulators visited the site or contacted Hallford until more than 10 months after the Penrose funeral home's registration expired. State lawmakers gave regulators the authority to inspect funeral homes without the owners' consent last year, but no additional money was provided for increased inspections.
veryGood! (42742)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- 65 kangaroos found dead in Australia, triggering criminal investigation: The worst thing I've seen
- Benji Gregory, former child star on the 80s sitcom ‘ALF,’ dies at 46
- Pat Colbert, 'Dallas' and 'Knots Landing' actress, dies at 77: Reports
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Inflation slowed more than expected in June as gas prices fell, rent rose
- RHOC: Inside Shannon Beador & Alexis Bellino's Explosive First Confrontation Over John Janssen
- ESPYS 2024 Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as the Stars Arrive
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Owner offers reward after video captures thieves stealing $2 million in baseball cards
Ranking
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- On NYC beaches, angry birds are fighting drones on patrol for sharks and swimmers
- One Tech Tip: What to do if your personal info has been exposed in a data breach
- 2024 ESPY Awards: Winners and highlights from ESPN show
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- For Nicolas Cage, making a serial killer horror movie was a healing experience
- Biden to hold news conference today amid debate over his 2024 campaign. Here's what to know before he speaks.
- Deion Sanders and son Shilo address bankruptcy case
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
AT&T 2022 security breach hits nearly all cellular customers and landline accounts with contact
Referendum set for South Dakota voters on controversial carbon dioxide pipeline law
Steward Health Care under federal investigation for fraud and corruption, sources tell CBS News
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Amazon Prime Day presents opportunities for shoppers, and scammers too
Neutral Milk Hotel's Julian Koster denies grooming, sexual assault accusations
The last Manhattanhenge of 2024 is here: NYC sunset spectacle to draw crowds this weekend