Current:Home > MarketsDozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says -Thrive Financial Network
Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 19:48:45
Survivors rescued from a deflating rubber dinghy in the central Mediterranean Sea have reported that some 60 people who departed Libya with them a week ago perished during the journey, the humanitarian rescue group SOS Mediterranee said Thursday.
The European charity's ship Ocean Viking spotted the dinghy with 25 people on board Wednesday. Two were unconscious, and were evacuated by the Italian military for treatment. The other 23 were in serious condition, exhausted, dehydrated and with burns from fuel on board the boat.
"After yesterday's rescue of 25 people in very weak health condition, a medical evacuation took place in cooperation with the Italian Coast Guards," said SOS Mediterranee in an update shared Thursday on social media. The two unconscious people could not be roused by members of the rescue team and were flown by helicopter to Sicily, the group said.
SOS Mediterranee spokesperson Francesco Creazzo said that the survivors were all male, 12 of them minors with two of those not yet teenagers. They were from Senegal, Mali and The Gambia.
Creazzo said the survivors were traumatized and unable to give full accounts of what had transpired during the voyage. Humanitarian organizations often rely on accounts of survivors when pulling together the numbers of dead and missing at sea, presumed to have died.
The survivors' boat departed from Zawiya, Libya, seven days before the rescue, SOS Mediterranee said.
"Their engine broke after 3 days, leaving their boat lost adrift without water and food for days," the group shared in another social media post. Citing survivors, that update noted that "at least 60 people perished on the way, including women and at least one child."
The U.N. International Organization for Migration says 227 people have died along the perilous central Mediterranean route this year through March 11, not counting the new reported missing and presumed dead. That's out of a total 279 deaths in the Mediterranean since Jan. 1. A total of 19,562 people arrived in Italy using that route in the period.
Last year, about 100 migrants were rescued after a dangerously overcrowded fishing boat sunk in the Mediterranean near the coast of Greece. At least 82 people were killed and hundreds more were never found, according to officials. The tragedy shined a light on the notorious, risky journey across the Mediterranean that thousands of migrants undertake every month in hopes of reaching Europe. Tunisia and Libya are two main departure points.
- In:
- Libya
- Migrants
- Mediterranean Sea
veryGood! (73)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Confronting California’s Water Crisis
- Tiffany Chen Shares How Partner Robert De Niro Supported Her Amid Bell's Palsy Diagnosis
- ‘Rewilding’ Parts of the Planet Could Have Big Climate Benefits
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Kelly Ripa & Mark Consuelos' Son Michael Now Has a Role With Real Housewives
- In the Deluged Mountains of Santa Cruz, Residents Cope With Compounding Disasters
- Carbon Removal Projects Leap Forward With New Offset Deal. Will They Actually Help the Climate?
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Matthew Lawrence Teases His Happily Ever After With TLC's Chilli
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Glee's Kevin McHale Recalls His & Naya Rivera's Shock After Cory Monteith's Tragic Death
- Lisa Marie Presley's Autopsy Reveals New Details on Her Bowel Obstruction After Weight Loss Surgery
- Women fined $1,500 each for taking selfies with dingoes after vicious attacks on jogger and girl in Australia
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Extreme Makeover: Home Edition’s Ty Pennington Hospitalized 2 Days After Barbie Red Carpet
- Inside Penelope Disick's 11th Birthday Trip to Hawaii With Pregnant Mom Kourtney Kardashian and Pals
- Stanley Tucci Addresses 21-Year Age Gap With Wife Felicity Blunt
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Cocaine sharks may be exposed to drugs in the Florida Keys, researchers say
Blac Chyna Celebrates 10 Months of Sobriety Amid Personal Transformation Journey
Blac Chyna Celebrates 10 Months of Sobriety Amid Personal Transformation Journey
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Shakira Steps Out for Slam Dunk Dinner With NBA Star Jimmy Butler
You Must See the New Items Lululemon Just Added to Their We Made Too Much Page
Buy now, pay later plans can rack up steep interest charges. Here's what shoppers should know.