Current:Home > FinanceA former aide to New York Mayor Eric Adams is charged with destroying evidence as top deputy quits -Thrive Financial Network
A former aide to New York Mayor Eric Adams is charged with destroying evidence as top deputy quits
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 22:16:00
NEW YORK (AP) — A former New York City official was charged Tuesday with witness tampering and destroying evidence in a federal investigation that led to Mayor Eric Adams’ bribery indictment. The arrest came amid yet more high-profile departures from Adams’ administration.
Federal prosecutors allege that Mohamed Bahi, who resigned Monday as a community affairs liaison, told a businessman and campaign donors to lie to the FBI in June, and deleted the encrypted messaging app Signal from his cell phone as FBI agents arrived to search his home in July. Bahi had used the app to communicate with Adams, prosecutors said.
Bahi, 40, of Staten Island, was arrested Tuesday and is expected to appear in federal court in Manhattan. Information on a lawyer who could speak on his behalf was not listed in an online court docket.
Bahi is the first person other than Adams to be charged in the investigation.
In recent weeks, more than half-dozen of the mayor’s top aides have departed amid a rash of searches and subpoenas, as Gov. Kathy Hochul continues to pressure Adams to shake up his administration and bring stability to city government.
In the latest high-level departure, First Deputy Mayor Sheena Wright submitted her resignation Monday, according to a source familiar with the matter who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss personnel changes.
That exit came one day after Adams confirmed the resignation of Philip Banks, the deputy mayor for public safety, and Winnie Greco, his director of Asian affairs whose own fundraiser efforts for the mayor have come under scrutiny. Last week, he announced the school’s chancellor David Banks – Wright’s husband, Philip Banks’ brother – would step down later this month.
The city’s police commissioner, Edward Caban, and a senior mayoral advisor, Timothy Pearson, have also resigned. All of the officials have had their devices seized by federal investigators. Each has denied wrongdoing.
A voicemail left with a representative for Wright was not immediately returned.
In a statement, U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said Bahi’s charges “should leave no doubt about the seriousness of any effort to interfere with a federal investigation, particularly when undertaken by a government employee.”
“Our commitment to uncovering the truth and following the facts wherever they may lead is unwavering,” Williams said.
Adams, a Democrat, has vowed to stay in office after pleading not guilty Sept. 27 to charges that he accepted about $100,000 worth of free or deeply discounted international flights, hotel stays, meals and entertainment, and sought illegal campaign contributions from foreign interests.
Hochul, a Democrat who has the power to remove Adams from office, said last week that she was working with the mayor to make sure key positions “are filled with people who are going to be responsible.”
“We expect changes, that’s not a secret, and changes are beginning,” Hochul said.
Bahi’s criminal complaint alleges that he organized a fundraiser at the Brooklyn headquarters of a construction company in December 2020, where Bahi suggested that the company’s owner have his employees make donations to Adams’ campaign and then refund the workers for the $2,000 payments – a little under the maximum allowed by any individual donor in the city.
Four employees and the owner made donations to the campaign, with the workers’ payments reimbursed by the company, according to the complaint. All have subsequently spoken to law enforcement, and the owner admitted his involvement in the illegal straw donations, according to prosecutors.
In his own indictment, Adams is also accused of knowingly accepting illegal donations from straw donors – in his case, conspiring to take campaign contributions from Turkish nationals and disguising the payments by routing them through U.S. citizens. That enabled Adams to unlock public funds that provide an eight-to-one match for small-dollar donations, prosecutors said.
At a hearing last week, Assistant U.S. Attorney Hagan Scotten said prosecutors are pursuing “several related investigations” and that it is “likely” additional defendants will be charged and “possible” that more charges will be brought against Adams.
Bahi’s criminal complaint states that federal and city authorities began investigating straw donations to the Adams campaign in 2021, when he was running for mayor while holding a different elected office, Brooklyn borough president. Adams was sworn in as mayor in 2022.
__
Associated Press journalist Ruth Brown contributed to this report.
veryGood! (36733)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Horoscopes Today, September 18, 2024
- The Daily Money: Will the Fed go big or small?
- Lawsuits buffet US offshore wind projects, seeking to end or delay them
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Sean Diddy Combs' Alleged Texts Sent After Cassie Attack Revealed in Sex Trafficking Case
- 80-year-old man found dead after driving around roadblock into high water
- Milwaukee’s new election chief knows her office is under scrutiny, but she’s ready
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Orioles hope second-half flop won't matter for MLB playoffs: 'We're all wearing it'
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Wagon rolls over at Wisconsin apple orchard injuring about 25 children and adults
- Raven-Symoné Says Demi Lovato Was Not the Nicest on Sonny with a Chance—But Doesn't Hold It Against Her
- Detroit suburbs sue to try to stop the shipment of radioactive soil from New York
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Leaders of Democratic protest of Israel-Hamas war won’t endorse Harris but warn against Trump
- Hackers demand $6 million for files stolen from Seattle airport operator in cyberattack
- Hayden Panettiere breaks silence on younger brother's death: 'I lost half my soul'
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Blue Jackets open camp amid lingering grief over death of Johnny Gaudreau
Lala Kent Shares Baby Girl Turned Purple and Was Vomiting After Challenging Birth
North Carolina’s highest court hears challenge to law allowing more time for child sex abuse suits
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese change the WNBA’s landscape, and its future
Found: The Best Free People Deals Under $50, Featuring Savings Up to 92% Off & Styles Starting at Just $6
A former officer texted a photo of the bloodied Tyre Nichols to his ex-girlfriend